The following are some of the current trends that your child could be exposed to.

Vodka Eyeballing

“Vodka Eyeballing” is a dangerous and unconventional alcohol experimentation among teenagers. They are managing to get drunk quickly, and somewhat undetected, by holding the bottle of vodka to their eye and pouring the liquid directly through the eyeball.  Essentially taking a shot with the eye, kids become intoxicated without the smell of alcohol on their breath. The alcohol rapidly enters the bloodstream through the vessels in the eye. The rapid rate of absorption through the mucous membrane results in a higher risk of alcohol poisoning.  In addition to the higher risk of alcohol poisoning, permanent damage to the eye may occur.  Vodka has extremely high ethanol levels that may cause scarring, burned corneas, and even cause blindness.

Read More:


“Huffing” is a cheap and dangerous high that emerged years ago and has resurfaced among teens today. Children are getting high from inhaling concentrated amounts of toxic fumes by placing a chemical-soaked rag of a chemical filled paper bag placed directly over their nose and mouth. Newer products can be inhaled directly from the canister and is referred to as “Dusting”. The term is directly associated with using electronic cleaning products, such as “Dust Off” to get high. The common chemicals used in huffing are typically household items that are easy for teens to access or purchase themselves. The toxins can have long and short-term effects on the brain such as memory loss, impaired motor skills, and poor decision-making.  Huffing can cause addiction, liver damage, kidney damage and even sudden death.

Read More:

Alcohol Enemas

“Alcohol Enemas” are a very dangerous alcohol experimentation for those who are willing to participate. Teenagers and college students are seeking a faster, more intense intoxication by pouring alcohol into a tube that has been inserted into their rectum. The method of delivery allows the alcohol to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the colon. When alcohol bypasses the natural route of digestion, it remains toxic and could poison the body beyond repair. In addition, unlike traditional consumption, it is impossible to monitor the amount of alcohol one is absorbing or to predict how one’s body will respond to receiving alcohol intravenously.

Seeking a faster and undetected buzz not only increases the risk of alcohol poisoning, but also decreases the effectiveness of medical interventions used in cases of alcohol poisoning. Medical professionals warn that once the alcohol has entered the bloodstream there is no way it can be removed.

Read More:

The Choking Game

For years, children have been playing this potentially lethal “game”. The game consists of children restricting their airway (with restraints, their own hands or the help of a friend) to cut off the flow of blood to the brain. Once the restraint is released they feel a high (dizziness, tingling sensations, blurred vision) as the blood rushes back to their head. What they are actually experiencing is the side-effects of thousands of brain cells that are dying due to lack of oxygen. Since there is no way to gauge the proper time to “let go” or release the restraints, many participants pass out, cause permanent brain damage and/or accidentally hung themselves. The “game” has been known to cause comas, strokes, brain bleeds and other forms of brain damage. The real dangers of this game go unnoticed each year because many of the children that have died from playing the Choking Game have been labeled as suicides.

Read More:

Bath Salts

“Bath Salts” are a dangerous chemical compound that is packaged as harmless beauty products and were sold legally until a federal ban was passed in 2012 outlawing the drug. The white powder, granules, or crystals are an extremely dangerous chemical mixture that was marketed and sold as “legal” cocaine or methamphetamine. Bath salts can be swallowed, snorted, smoked, or injected. Despite being outlawed, the drug is still being produced and the manufacturing environments are similar to those of meth labs. The chemical compound of Bath Salts varies greatly, which causes users to experience a wide range of side-effects. Users have reported minor symptoms such as headaches, heart palpitations, nausea to the more extreme reactions, that can include hallucinations, paranoia, panic attacks, and paralysis. Bath Salt users have also been associated with extremely violent behavior, sudden heart attacks, kidney and liver failure, suicide, an increased tolerance for pain and a rapid breakdown of muscle tissue.

Little is known about how Bath Salts interact with the brain or how to treat the symptoms they cause but scientists are finding they are similar to methamphetamine and have the potential to cause addiction and dramatic short and long-term side effects.

Read More:

Synthetic Marijuana/”Spice”

Synthetic Pot or “Spice” might be considered as the legal and untestable “alternative” to marijuana, but it is a dangerous and unregulated chemical compound. The “synthetic cannabinoids” are produced from a variety of toxic chemicals, attempting to mimic the effects of THC. The drug looks like potpourri or lawn clippings and the pieces have been sprayed or soaked with a solution of designer chemicals.

The number of ER visits related to Spice over the past few years has skyrocketed. Spice use triggers a wide variety of symptoms such as vomiting, rapid heart rate, hallucinations, confusion, agitation, reduced blood supply to the heart, high blood pressure, even heart attacks. The symptoms prove difficult for medical professional to treat because the chemical compounds are unknown. It is reported that a 19-year-old died in California as a result of taking a single hit of Spice. The government has made efforts to outlaw the substance(s), but that does not make the problem disappear.

Read More:

Purple Drank

Purple Drank, Lean, Sizzurp, are all slang terms that reference a popular Rx drug-induced intoxication that is trending among teenagers. The dangerous mixture is created from items found at home, the key ingredient is a prescription cold medicine that contains codeine. The cough syrup is mixed with soda, like Sprite or Mountain Dew and served over ice. Teenagers are drinking the concoction well beyond the prescribed dosage and with the intention of becoming intoxicated. Codeine is an opiate and it is very easy for the user to overdose on the drug while using Purple Drank, the potential of overdose increases when the use of the drink is combined with alcohol or other drugs. 

Read More: